At Columbia Auto Care and Car Wash, our goal is to partner with you to protect your car. We offer top-quality parts and products along with outstanding service so you can be confident – assured that you are doing everything you can to keep your vehicle looking new and on the road for as long as possible. So we feature industry-leading brands, such as Mobil 1™ fully-synthetic motor oil, Rain-X and Armor All ® exterior protective coatings, MICHELIN® and Goodyear tires, and more. We want to ensure that your car, truck, or SUV receives nothing but the best care possible.
For that reason, we also offer a complimentary 21 Point Inspection with every oil change and general maintenance service.
The 21-Point Inspection
Included in our 21 Point Inspection are the following:
- Check and correct the pressure in all of your tires
- Inspect your tires for signs of tread wear or damage (cuts, cracking, nails, etc.)
- Visually inspect your brakes
- Make sure the brake fluid is in good condition and the reservoir is full
- Inspect the components of the suspension system, both visually and physically
- Inspect steering system components
- Check the level and condition of your power steering fluid and top off if necessary
- Inspect the ball joints for play or leaking boots
- Inspect the drive axles and CV joints/boots
- Look for leaks or damage to the exhaust system
- Inspect the fuel lines and brake lines for leaks, damage, and corrosion
- Check the level and condition of your engine coolant and top off if necessary
- Inspect the coolant hoses for cracks or bulges
- Inspect the drive belt(s) for signs of wear or cracking
- Check your transmission fluid and top off if necessary
- Check all exterior lights for proper operation
- Make sure your battery is not leaking, swollen, or corroded and check its age
- Inspect your wiper blades and top off windshield washer fluid
- Inspect the engine air filter and cabin air filter
- Visually inspect for any fluid leaks
- Check the engine oil and filter (if oil change service is not being performed)
Each of these items will be performed whenever you bring your vehicle in for an oil and filter change or other general maintenance procedure.
Now, some drivers believe that they can save time and money by performing basic maintenance services themselves. While there is nothing technically wrong with changing your own motor oil, the idea that you can save money is not wholly accurate. An oil change is not necessarily a time-consuming event. Well, unless you need to first go to the store, buy the correct type and viscosity oil, and locate the proper oil filter. Then you have to safely lift and support the front of the vehicle in the air, drain the old oil from your engine (and dispose of it in a legal manner), replace the filter, add fresh oil, and put the vehicle back down on the ground. Not terribly complex, but tricky. Certainly not convenient.
Besides, doing an oil change yourself (or any other service for that matter) does not necessarily save money. Cheap brake service with inferior parts and inaccurate procedures can cost far more down the road – not to mention pose a safety risk. Simply purchasing the materials for a DIY oil change can actually cost you more than having it done at a shop.
And a DIY job (or one trusted to the neighbor next door) does not include a multi-point inspection and the expert advice that goes along with it. You miss out on getting help with the decision between conventional or synthetic oil, or between ceramic or semi-metallic brake pads. You miss out on the peace of mind knowing that the major systems on your car have been inspected by a professional.
It pays to trust your vehicle maintenance to the professionals at Columbia Auto Care and Car Wash.
Columbia Auto Care & Car Wash | Author: Mike Ales | Copyright
This article is intended only as a general guidance document and relying on its material is at your sole risk. By using this general guidance document, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Columbia Auto Care & Car Wash and its affiliates from and against any and all claims, damages, costs and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising from or related to your use of this guidance document. To the extent fully permissible under applicable law, Columbia Auto Care & Car Wash makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the information, content, or materials included in this document. This reservation of rights is intended to be only as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the laws of your State of residence.